another mail connundrum SOLVED

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 21:57:27 UTC 2012

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 09 November 2012 15:12:59 Gene Heskett did opine:
>
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I am not, to my knowledge, using postfix for anything.
>>
>> However, I just found, in /var/log, a mail.warn file that apparently is
>> being written to with every message I send, warning me:
>> Nov  9 13:53:08 coyote postfix/sendmail[14521]: fatal: open
>> /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory
>>
>> One line of that for every message I post.
>>
>> This same error is showing up in /var/log/mail.err also.
>>
>> This is ubuntu-10.04.4 LTS, with just enough KDE installed to run kmail
>> and a few games and its text based launching menu's.
>>
>> The sent mails go thru just fine regardless, so why is postfix even
>> getting involved?
>>
>> Cheers, Gene
>
> I found it sufficient to 'touch' that file.  It silences the logging of
> useless mewling.

Basically Postfix is a replacement for sendmail & sendmail was included
in every Linux distro (I think) since year zero. When Postfix is
installed, you have to create /etc/postfix/main.cf in order for it to
run, hence when you created the file, it stopped alerting you to the
fact that it hadn't been configured correctly.

Absolutely nothing to worry about & at least now you know if you need to
use it (e.g. to set up mail notifications when you directly add a cron
job for instance), it's there, ready & waiting for you.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow