Skype on Precise x86_64

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Nov 9 09:12:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 11:10:09AM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> > >I did a fresh install of 12.04 (not 12.04.1 yet at the time, I think).
> > >I don't remember having any trouble with Skype -- I keep a log, and
> > >surely would've written something down.
> > >
> > >What is the error you're getting?  And when are you getting it -- when
> > >you attempt to install the package, or when you attempt to launch Skype?
> > I think you have quantal not precise 12.04.1.
>
> That is correct.  However when I first installed Skype on this machine
> I was running precise (and quantal hadn't been released at the time).
>
> > I get the error "unmet dependencies" during apt-get install skype.
>
> Could you be more specific?
>
> I just realized I've a precise laptop lying around at home, pretending
> to be an HMPC/home server.
>
>   ssh my-home
>   gksudo software-properties-gtk   # yay X forwarding
>     enable Partner and Extras repositories
>   sudo apt-get update
>   sudo apt-get install skype
>   0 upgraded, 77 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>   Need to get 53,7 MB of archives.
>   After this operation, 113 MB of additional disk space will be used.
>   Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
>
> As you can see, I'm not getting any "unmet depencencies" errors.

I forgot to mention that this machine is also 64-bit.

And I can see /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch exists and has

  foreign-architecture i386

But I see in another email that you've already solved your Skype
problem, so all's well.

Marius Gedminas
--
If you sat a monkey down in front of a keyboard, the first thing typed would be
a unix command.