How to change admin user for GUI?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 8 09:40:43 UTC 2012

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 07.11.2012, 12:41 -0800 schrieb NoOp:
> >> $ sudo adduser <username> adm
> > the adm group is only for access to files in /var/log, you want the
> > "sudo" group (or in older releases the "admin" group)
> >
> > ciao
> > 	oli
>
> You are correct regarding 'sudo group'. However I suspect the user is
> already in the sudo group: "We can both use sudo to do the
> administration on command line."
>
> The user can be in the sudo group, but if he is not in adm he will not
> be able to install updates. I tested on 12.04 prior to responding.

from [1]:

Other groups which have no associated user:

      * adm: Group adm is used for system monitoring tasks. Members of
        this group can read many log files in /var/log, and can use
        xconsole. Historically, /var/log was /usr/adm (and
        later /var/adm), thus the name of the group.

ciao
	oli

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch12.en.html