Progress on 12.04 (Was: Re: 12.04 upgrade problem)

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:04:53 UTC 2012

On 8 November 2012 01:31, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Jim Smith <jim at oz.net> wrote:
>>
>> Colin Law wrote:

>>> If you install over the top of the existing ubuntu partition, but
>>> select /not/ to format the partition then it will leave /home as it
>>> is, saving the need to restore that folder.  You should make sure all
>>> is backed up anyway of course.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>

>> I have thought of that option and it looks pretty good, especially if
>> there is some app or other means to clear out all of the leftover crap from
>> the previous install. It was a much upgraded system that started when I
>> first got this laptop, I think it was originally 5.10 or 6.04. I was slowly
>> losing the battle to keep the space on the disk free. It didn't help that I
>> could boot into Gnome, KDE, FVWM, IceWM and maybe a couple other minor ones
>> as well. I think the new one will be concentrated on Gnome with enough of
>> KDE base to run apps like Kstars, some of their screen savers and their very
>> good CD burner.
>>

> When you do an UPGRADE of the OS, the upgrader DOES examine the cruft and
> pitch out packages that are no longer supported, but it upgrades any package
> that's still available in the Ubuntu repositories.
>
> When you do an INSTALL (replace Ubuntu) into an existing directory
> preserving a separate /home partition the resulting system will be much like
> a brand new install, except it won't change the filesystem type of /home
> from ext3 to ext4. (If you care at all you can do that later, but I haven't
> heard of much reason to even consider it.)

Note that this also applies if you do a new install over the top of a
system that does not have a separate /home partition, but you select
not to partition the root directory.  In that case  the /home folder
(not partition) is left alone.  The net effect is therefore very
similar to having a separate /home partition.

Colin