How to change admin user for GUI?

Wes James comptekki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 16:09:13 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed ubuntu-12.4 for a friend. Since he is not a computer guy
> and
> I will need to do the administration on this computer, the first admin
> account
> I created was an account for me. Then I created a second admin account for
> him. We can both use sudo to do the administration on command line.
>
> Since he is not familiar with the command line, he is doing everything with
> the GUI. But when he does anything that needs root permissions (e.g. update
> the system), the GUI asks for _my_ password.
>
> How can I change this setting so that _his_ PW is asked instead?

1. Click Application Menu
2. Click Users and Groups
3. Click Manager Groups
4. Scroll down to sudo then click on it and then click Properties
5. Put a check on desired user to add to sudo group, then click on OK

Then when any app does admin stuff and pops up the Authenticate window then
you will get a drop-down list of folks in the sudo group.  I found this out
by looking in /etc/sudoers and it mentioned users in the sudo group would
have sudo privs.  So I created a second user and then added them to the
sudo group.  I picked an app to install and it popped up the Authenticate
window with not just asking for the password but also a drop-down list of
the users in the sudo group.

wes