How to change admin user for GUI?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 7 00:33:50 UTC 2012

On 11/06/2012 11:43 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed ubuntu-12.4 for a friend. Since he is not a computer guy and
> I will need to do the administration on this computer, the first admin account
> I created was an account for me. Then I created a second admin account for
> him. We can both use sudo to do the administration on command line.
>
> Since he is not familiar with the command line, he is doing everything with
> the GUI. But when he does anything that needs root permissions (e.g. update
> the system), the GUI asks for _my_ password.
>
> How can I change this setting so that _his_ PW is asked instead?

In order to install updates & make system changes he must be a member of
the adm group. You can do this by adding him to the group:

$ sudo adduser <username> adm

You can of course change him from a 'Standard' user to 'Administrator'
using Settings|User Accounts.

Ubuntu has, once again, dumbed down the desktop to accomodate the 'do a
reinstall' folks... To get the old 'Users and Groups' application back:

<http://ubuntuguide.net/get-back-graphical-users-groups-management-tool-in-ubuntu-12-04>

With that you can manage the groups & users directly via the gui without
having to do a 'Standard' user to 'Administrator' without knowing what
that actually changed.