migration from Windows to Ubuntu: Thunderbird data, camera software, desktop

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sat Nov 3 22:11:05 UTC 2012

Adam Funk wrote:
> Should I set them up on Unity?  (Controversial one, that --- I don't
> use it myself, but I want to reduce tech support overhead.)

Generally, I'd say go with whatever it is that you use, since you'll
be the primary person fixing it.

Failing that, I'd go with Unity. Nothing's close enough to Windows to
hide the fact that it's not Windows, so I think the old familiarity
argument isn't really that valuable. From giving it to various people
of different ages and computer-familiarity, Unity seems about as good
as anything else in my experience. I use it day-to-day, and it's got
an awful lot better in the relatively short space of time since it was
first released.

--
Avi