ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 99, Issue 12

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 3 09:00:24 UTC 2012

On 3 November 2012 06:39, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:
> On 11/03/2012 02:38 PM, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>>>
>>> We are/were devout Ubuntu users but from the second update of precise
>>> 12.04
>>
>> 12.04 is solid as a rock for me.  12.10 is very new and does have some
>> issues, though I am not seeing compiz issues except on an old PC with
>> non-3d graphics.  Exactly what problem are you having on 12.04?  (or
>> 12.10 if you would rather sort that one).
>>
>> Do all the PCs you see problems on have the same graphics cards?  If
>> so it may be a graphics driver issue rather than compiz itself.
>>
>> Colin
>
> Thanks Colin
> The thought had crossed my mind that it may be the nvidia driver as that is
> the only common denominator for 3 of the machines.
> I would have thought that it would have been sorted out between 11.10, 12,04
> and now 12.10. Especially since 12.10 has a brand new updated nvidia driver
> installed during the upgrade yesterday.
>
> Yes all three have the problem of the monitor going greyed out and compiz
> wanting to send the error to whoever?

Probably no-one who knows about nvidia drivers will see your reply
because you have left the subject line as the digest subject.  I
suggest you post it again as a reply to your original message.  Or at
least post it with the correct subject line if you can't actually do
it as a reply to the original message.  I don't know about nvidia I am
afraid.  Possibly it might be better to post a new message giving the
message you are getting and details of the graphics card.  Google any
errors you are getting first of course, though I assume you have
already done that.  Perhaps add nvidia to the search.

Colin