ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 99, Issue 12

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Nov 3 06:39:19 UTC 2012

On 11/03/2012 02:38 PM, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>> We are/were devout Ubuntu users but from the second update of precise 12.04
>> >right to this 12.10 update compiz is causing extreme pain, reporting errors
>> >pretty much all the time and making the systems unworkable for 5 minutes or
>> >so until it clears or we switch off in frustration.
>> >the problem exists on a number of different computers so is not a computer
>> >error.
> 12.04 is solid as a rock for me.  12.10 is very new and does have some
> issues, though I am not seeing compiz issues except on an old PC with
> non-3d graphics.  Exactly what problem are you having on 12.04?  (or
> 12.10 if you would rather sort that one).
>
> Do all the PCs you see problems on have the same graphics cards?  If
> so it may be a graphics driver issue rather than compiz itself.
>
> Colin
Thanks Colin
The thought had crossed my mind that it may be the nvidia driver as that
is the only common denominator for 3 of the machines.
I would have thought that it would have been sorted out between 11.10,
12,04 and now 12.10. Especially since 12.10 has a brand new updated
nvidia driver installed during the upgrade yesterday.

Yes all three have the problem of the monitor going greyed out and
compiz wanting to send the error to whoever?
Roger