Alt tab question for 12.04 LTS

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 3 03:38:45 UTC 2012

This is mostly a just curious question.
   I have five machines now that have been migrated to 12.04
LTS from 10.04 LTS.  They are using Gnome classic. 3 of the
machines you can choose alt left mouse click to add
launchers to the panel and Alt Tab to cycle through the open
terminal windows. For two of them neither works.  Of course
one of the machines where it doesn't work is used by someone
who loves alt tab to move through windows so I wound up
installing compiz so I could set it to use alt tab to switch
applications. However I am mystified.  They all have
basically the same packages installed and I ran through  all
the gnome packages in synaptic and they seem to match.   I
actually had uninstalled the compiz stuff off of all the
machines because two older machines were freezing and it was
one of the suggested causes.  Any idea of what program or
configuration setting is allowing the alt tab to work on
some of the computers? Also any idea how I can get the alt
left mouse click to bring up the panel menu on the two
machines where it doesn't work?
                   Thanks
                    Linda