broken libqt4-dbus on 10-04 LTS

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 2 22:05:31 UTC 2012

On 2 November 2012 21:55, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Friday 02 November 2012 17:41:35 Colin Law did opine:
>> I presume you have done
>> sudo apt-get update
>
> Reloading the data in synaptic did NOT seem to effect this.
>
> Doing the apt-get update, then restarting synaptic made it available as a
> re-install option

So not having done apt-get update after modifying sources.list back to
what it should have been allowed the re-install to go ahead?

>, which I did, and which didn't effect the results, most
> of my menu's are there, but do nothing when clicked on.  Is this something
> that might require a reboot?  Come to think of it, this started with the
> last reboot, something forced on me by excessive swap usage that a "swapoff
> -a; swapon -a" that I need to do about weekly, but after about 3 weeks, the
> heavy swap usage comes back in half an hour and I give up & reboot the
> beast.  Uptime is currently in the 2nd day.  I'll send this, and reboot
> just for S&G.
>
>> Otherwise I am out of my depth I am afraid.
>
> Sounds like its launchpad time then, but I've no clue what my login and
> passwd are, its been at least a year, maybe more.

I meant that if apt-get update did not fix the apt-get problem then I
was out of my depth, which apparently I was not.
The subject of this thread was why you could not reinstall the package
so this thread appears to be solved.

> Thanks Colin.

Glad to be of help.

Colin