broken libqt4-dbus on 10-04 LTS

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Nov 2 20:02:03 UTC 2012

On Friday 02 November 2012 15:32:07 Colin Law did opine:

> On 2 November 2012 16:18, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 02 November 2012 12:12:42 Colin Law did opine:
> >> apt-cache policy libqt4-dbus
> >
> > libqt4-dbus:
> >   Installed: 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5.4
> >   Candidate: 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5.4
> >
> >   Version table:
> >  *** 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5.4 0
> >
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Is that all it said?  I would have expected it to show the repository
> also.
>
> Are you sure you installed it from the repository and not by
> downloading a deb file?  That seems to be the right version though
> [1].

That was from the original install, from a nearly 18 month old respin of
10.04.4 LTS, the respin by the LinuxCNC guys, with a specially built RTAI
enabled 2.6.32.122 kernel, designed to facilitate an i/o cycle that may
loop every 20 microseconds and must do this loop with a timing jitter
under 5 or so microseconds, so it never came from a 'repo', but from the
installation cd.  Because RTAI is married to & compiled into the kernel,
no kernel updates have ever been done to any of these machines.

All machines are behind a dd-wrt router and it would take John months,
maybe even years to hack that password. :)

But I need to find a solution, much of my menu's are dead because of it.

> Colin
>
> [1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libqt4-dbus

And why can't apt-get pull that?  Something wrong with my sources list?

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.04 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release i386 (20100429)]/ lucid main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security multiverse

# deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt
deb http://linuxcnc.org/ lucid base linuxcnc2.5

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily/ubuntu lucid main

And I just added:
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main
to that list, which may help.  But I have added that line in the synaptic
repo menu 3 times, then into /etc/apt/sources.list too, but synaptic
refuses to show it in its repo listing despite several retarts.

Something busted here, but what?

> > Since I don't have a copy other than going back to the install cd, it
> > seemed strange that apt-get could not pull a fresh copy, like its been
> > removed from the repo's.

Cheers Colin, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It was one of those perfect summer days -- the sun was shining, a breeze
was blowing, the birds were singing, and the lawn mower was broken ...
		-- James Dent