GE problems

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 02:16:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 October 2012 20:22:01 Tom H did opine:

>>> $ locate mailname
>>> /etc/mailname
>>> /usr/share/man/man5/mailname.5.gz
>>>
>>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man5/mailname.5.html
>>>
>>> foo at bar $ cat /etc/mailname
>>> should result in:
>>> bar
>>
>> "/etc/mailname" is a Debianism for setting the box/domain from which
>> an email originates when you run "dpkg-reconfigure <mta>" that's
>> created by one of the postfix (for example) installation scripts
>> (IIRC, from "hostname -f").
> Mmmm, 1. I don't use postfix.
> 2. hostname -f spits out the local name, but no email would ever
> reach me at that FQDN, my local network is natted behind a dd-wrt router.
> The address in my sig is equally worthless for email purposes.

(To add what I said about mailname and MTAs, I think that
mutt/mailx/... also use/need/... "/etc/mailname".)

I looked at the Lucid make-googleearth script. The "cat /etc/mailname"
message is just an error because there's no check for the existence of
"/etc/mailname" before running 'SYS_MAILNAME="$(cat /etc/mailname)"'
but its non-existence's later worked around with
'OPT_EMAIL="${DEBEMAIL:-$(whoami)@${SYS_MAILNAME:-$(hostname)}}"'.

The reason that there's parsing for an email address is that it's
needed for the control file.

Although I don't think that your "Permission denied" has to do with
the script itself, check:
Is lsb-core installed?
Can you build the package with "--force"?
Does using "--verbose" give you more information?

I can download GoogleEarthLinux.bin from [1] without a problem.

IMO, the "Permission denied" error is local. You're not in "~/gene" in
the output that you posted, you're in "/CoCo".

1. http://dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoogleEarthLinux.bin