How do I disable screen blanking?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue May 29 17:37:36 UTC 2012

Hans Muecke wrote:
> Am 29.05.2012 11:26, schrieb Nils Kassube:
> > In the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" for the proprietary nvidia driver
> > I have this section:
> >
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >
> >     Option         "BlankTime" "0"
> >     Option         "NoPM" "1"
> >     Option         "StandbyTime" "0"
> >     Option         "SuspendTime" "0"
> >     Option         "OffTime" "0"
> >
> > EndSection
> >
> > I have no idea if it might be also relevant for other xservers.
>
> Since I have the same problem I wonder ... did you edit the file or
> did you use the nvidia setting program for that? My xorg.conf is
> missing this section completely ...

Good question - I don't remember. However I don't see those options in
the nvidia-settings application anywhere, so probably I found those
settings somewhere on the net and edited the file. Just in case you
didn't know it already: To edit that file you need root privilege. Use a
command like this

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

for a Ubuntu or Xubuntu system. If you have Kubuntu, use this instead:

kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Nils