should i have all man pages referenced by *other* man pages?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue May 29 12:43:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, 29 May 2012, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:

> On 2012-05-29 14:26, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >> You need manpages-dev package, which AFAIR is not installed by default.
> >> Fill a bug or submit a brainstorm idea if you think all manpages should
> >> be available by default.
> >
> >   it would appear i already have manpages-dev installed (not that i
> > remember installing it, so something else must have dragged it along).
> > so it would appear there are definite deficiencies in the man pages.
>
> My bad, I took a look on packages.ubuntu.com and these manpages are in
> packages manpages-posix-dev.

  ah, that i *don't* have so installing it now, but it will still be
curious if that fills in the holes since it would imply that some
pthread routine man pages come from one package and some from another,
even when they're *very* closely related.  (oh, and there's a
"manpages-posix" package as well of which i was unaware.)

  ah, suddenly, i have man pages for the pthread mutex locking
primitives, but in the "P" section of the docs:

PTHREAD_MUTEX_LOCK(P)               POSIX Programmer's Manual

NAME
       pthread_mutex_lock, pthread_mutex_trylock, pthread_mutex_unlock - lock and unlock a mutex

SYNOPSIS
       #include <pthread.h>

       int pthread_mutex_lock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
       int pthread_mutex_trylock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
       int pthread_mutex_unlock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
       ... snip ...

but that disagrees with the references at the bottom of "man 7
pthreads":

"... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."

which clearly refers to the wrong section, and also doesn't mention
the "trylock" variation.  oh, dear, what can of worms have i
opened here?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca