Display resolution issue on 12.04 with external display on laptop

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon May 28 21:34:23 UTC 2012

On 28 May 2012 21:28, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2012 18:13, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sadly, the dual-head functionality was broken by 11.10 and 12.04 has
>> not fixed it. Attempting to put it into dual-head mode results in a
>> warning that the virtual resolution has been exceeded.
>
> That may mean that your chipset cannot support 3D acceleration with
> that size virtual desktop, for me that means I have to run unity 2d
> rather than 3d when my external monitor is enabled.  Whether this has
> any relevance to your setup I do not know.

Nope, not that. It's a "Mobility Radeon" with 16MB VRAM, which
actually is a slightly-up-specced ATI Rage. Ubuntu can't drive it in
3D at all and I /only/ get the option of Unity-2D - but that works
rather well and I like it.

This is with the xorg.conf settings from here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_7000

... and the colour depth reduced to 16-bit. In that mode, video
performance is quite decent for an 8YO laptop.

I am considering dropping down to Lubuntu, though... Or even plain old
Debian with WindowMaker or something.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884