default music player disappeared on Ubuntu 12.04

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:46:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:09:20 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 14:43 +0000, sktsee wrote:
>> Or, you can just switch the order of rhythmbox and gmusicbrowser since
>> the indicator displays only the first listed installed app in the menu.
>
> Are you sure about that?
>
> I installed Banshee (wanted Amazon MP3 purchasing capability, which
> Rhythmbox does not have, especially since the Amazon downloader won't
> work on my Ubuntu 12.04 64bit) and now both Rhythmbox and Banshee show
> up in the indicator drop-down.

Well, not too sure :) I had both gmusicbrowser and rhythmbox installed,
but at the time only gmusicbrowser was showing up in the indicator menu.
I remember fiddling with the dconf settings, but I was also doing other
tweaks at the same time so I may missed something else I did to get
rhytmbox to show up. Looking at rhythmbox's plugin preferences just now I
see that I have both MPRIS and MPRIS2 plugins enabled. I believe least
one of those is required to have rhythmbox controls present in the
indicator menu so the OP may want to check that on his system.

--
sktsee