modem question

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 27 19:16:16 UTC 2012

On 05/27/2012 02:09 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 27/05/12 18:35, Ric Moore wrote:
>> Hopefully, this a REAL modem, like an external US Robotics, and not
>> some $2 internal "win-modem". Ric
>
> Oh god, not one of those "Win-modems" :'( .
>
> Mind you, there was one internal modem which used a Conexant chip which
> performed flawlessly with a driver which, to begin with, was free but
> then capitalism took over and the driver cost an arm and a leg - but it
> WORKED. (Actually, I still have the modem somewhere in the darkroom in
> the garage.)

 *-communication
       product: 56k WinModem
       vendor: Agere Systems
       physical id: 3
       bus info: pci at 0000:02:03.0
       version: 01
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=martian latency=0 maxlatency=14 mingnt=252
       resources: irq:19 memory:feaffc00-feaffcff ioport:bc00(size=8)
ioport:b800(size=256)

Works for me just fine using efax-gtk:

Socket running on port 9900
efax-0.9a: 11:54:48 opened /dev/ttySM0
efax-0.9a: 11:54:50 using LT V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.30 in class 1
efax-0.9a: 11:54:50 waiting for activity

Initializaton Params: Z &FE&D2S7=120 &C0 M1L0
Reset Prams: Z

GNOME PPP modem init strings:
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

I do not use mgetty, but install mgetty-docs:
/usr/share/doc/mgetty/modems.db.gz has suggested modem settings.