remote screen (Ubuntu 12.04) doesn't update

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Sun May 27 15:52:16 UTC 2012

>One of the suggested 'solutions' is to switch from Unity 3D to Unity 2D.
>Being new to Ubuntu I have some difficulties finding how to perform this
switch.
>Could tell me how to do this?

I've never used tighvnc, but I use Vnc4server with the RealVNC client
heavily. They might be similar.

The trick is configuring your xstartup script in the hidden folder .vnc in
your home folder.

There are a few 'sessions' to choose from located in
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/ , including the 2D session. When you
install alternate desktops, they appear in this directory also.

Here's my xstartup. Restart the vnc service after making any changes:

 #!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d &

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop"
&
#x-window-manager &