modem question

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat May 26 21:45:59 UTC 2012

On 05/25/2012 11:04 AM, Linda wrote:
> I have a computer set up so you can dial in and work on it from
> another location. Lately I am having problems that if the line
> disconnects (our phone lines have problems) the computer is not
> releasing the modem so you then can not call back in and reconnect
> without having someone on site shutdown the computer and restart it.
> My question is should I be looking at settings for the modem or for
> mgetty to ensure that if the call is broken that ttyS1 is freed back
> up and the modem is reset so it can answer the new call.  In the past
> the most I had to do was get someone to turn off the modem and turn
> it back on in a few minutes to reset everything so you could call
> in.

AH!! Olde SKOOL!! It's your init string. It should automatically detect
that the call is dropped and re-init itself which mgetty will pick up
on. Just do a google search on your modem and you will find a good init
string for it. I USED to know all this stuff by heart, but I have
conveniently forgotten it all. I used to have 8 phone lines to my Linux
based BBS with various modems that all had to be properly configured to
avoid what is happening to you. Getting your init string correct is a
beautiful thing. Keep it written down in a safe place, just in case
something mangles it. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html