Ubuntu 11.10 refuses to display correctly after software update

John Schroer ka8grh at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:30:02 UTC 2012

I was able to boot up and Ubuntu appeared to act normally.
  I left the system as was.
Then I tried to boot Ubuntu after going to the Dayton Hamvention last
weekend, and I got the white background and strange characters,
I can not get into text mode (Ctrl-Alt-F1)  Do I try to keep rebooting
Ubuntu until I succeed, then attempt to fix the problem with jockey text,
or do you have another suggestion.  I am writing this email on the Windows
XP side of this system.
Sincerely, John