help reading cd

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed May 23 09:32:31 UTC 2012

On 23/05/12 13:50, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 02:25 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 22/05/12 05:28, Richard Fell wrote:
>>> With ubuntu 12.04, after placing a cd on which I have burned an iso
>>> image, I get a pop up windoww with the following message:"This link
>>> cannot be used, because its target "cdrom0" doesn't exist".
>>> Perhaps not since I get:
>>>
>>> rfell at rosewall:/dev$ ls -l | grep cdrom*
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2012-05-21 15:25 cdrom -> sr0
>>> crw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 21, 2 2012-05-20 14:25 sg2
>>> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2012-05-21 15:25 sr0
>>>

>>> Should not this sort of thing be taken care of automatically so inept
>>> users such as I will be spared such penances as this?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Dick Fell
>>
>> Interesting.... There is a person on the Kubuntu list who cannot get
>> k9copy to open a DVD even though he can actually open it using other
>> apps including playing the DVD using kaffeine. He is also now using
>> 12.04, BTW. Oh, he gets a different error message which just says,
>> "Cannot open /dev/sr0".
>
> When I just replaced the damned DVD player, that fixed it. I
> re-installed that player to another machine and the same problem crops
> up. Ergo, it is busted. Cheap enough to replace to test. :) Ric

Well, not quite the solution because the person on the Kubuntu list can
access the discs on this device, for example play DVDs and any audio CDs
using kaffeine or other applications, but it is ONLY k9copy which cannot
open the DVD on this device.

So, the device is OK but something is stopping k9copy from accessing the
device - similar to what the above person is experiencing where the app
is not recognising the device.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.3.6 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor