Upgrade to 12.04 really slow

David L david4lists at gmail.com
Sun May 20 04:42:23 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 05/19/2012 03:29 PM, David L wrote:
>
>> PS - My ISP is not the problem.  A broadband speed test shows that I
>> can download
>> 4500 times faster than my Ubuntu upgrade packages are being
>> downloaded.  My computer
>> speed and memory is also not the problem... it's 97% idle with lots of
>> free memory.  This
>> seems to be an Ubuntu server problem and/or an Ubuntu upgrade bug.
>

> Or, there are a LOT of people overwhelming the server. Why not just get a CD
> or DVD to install from, and that will make it happen ALOT faster than via
> the web, it will save some bandwidth and you'll have something in your hand
> in case it blows up. You could wind up with a brick. There are several
> reputable vendors who will supply you with one for around $5. $7 tops with
> postage. :) Ric

Hmm... it took me like 6 minutes to download the ISO
from the web and I already put it on a USB stick.  But I was
trying to upgrade, both from the web and from a loopback
mounted ISO (which shouldn't use the internet or so it claims).

In any case, the upgrade ended up only taking like 6 hours
even though it said 4 days a few hours into the installation.  I'm almost
sure that the cdromupgrade process was using an intermittently
slow internet server even though I told it not to use the internet.

Thanks,

          Dave