Corrupt 12.04 automatic update

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat May 19 06:26:09 UTC 2012

On 19/05/12 16:13, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 19/05/12 16:00, Joe Bissett wrote:
>> After all of my problems with the corrupt automatic 12.04 download, I
>> am finally able to access 12.04, but not as the primary user
>> (administrator), only as Guest.
>>
>> i am unable to sign in to my administrator account.  This is very
>> confusing.  I can not enter my password in the login prompt when
>> 12.04 first comes up.  As soon as I put the cursor in the login space
>> and release it, the software recycles back to the login prompt.  I
>> tried Recovery Mode, Ubuntu, Ubuntu 2d and Other, but the same
>> recycle takes place immediately.
>>
>> However, I can get into 12.04 with Guest, and then using the icon at
>> the top right I can look at my Administrator account. The password
>> there says None, but I actually do have a password, and I have not
>> changed it since version 7.
>>
>> I know the password is still recognized "somewhere" in the op system,
>> because I have a direct link from my Windows XP to a file folder
>> called "Test" on the Ubuntu machine.  To open the link requires
>> entering my password.  I can open the Test folder over the link using
>> my correct password, and I can copy files back and forth.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas?  I am a total newbie, and I am very
>> frustrated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Joe Bissett
>

> I had a similar experience recently - but not with 12.04 you are
> talking about.
>
> The only way I got out of the hassle was to do a fresh install. YMMV.

(I'm having a "bad hair day" today :-( :-D .)

I forgot to mention that I could access the system using System Rescue
CD and even access the encrypted /home directory but no way could I do
it by booting into the system :-( - my passwords would not be accepted.
Being able to access the encrypted /home I copied all files to an
external HDD and then re-installed.

(And if you are wondering why I could copy all of my encrypted /home to
the external HDD then you should consider finding out about encryption
and not simply accept that "encryption" means "nobody can get at my
'secret' data" :-) .)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.3.6 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor