Problem with Grub installing Xubuntu 12.04

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 15 17:43:11 UTC 2012

On 05/13/2012 02:36 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I revently got answers toa curious problem I had with the system of my
> wife (See mail:"reinstall ubuntu urgent"). It turned out to be a
> corrupt xubuntu 11.10 kernel (I even replaced a perfectly good
> Sata-cable) mimicking hardware problems.
> But the second problem occurs now with Grub. I installed 12.04 over the
> old installation (i.e. I installed over the old /root, /var and /local
> and also /home but none of them were formatted.
> OK installation went like a breeze. However. when I wanted to start it
> it first came with the start menu showing all possible installed OSes.
> However, when I wanted to start any one of them Grub says:
> "error: no such partition" (twice) "Press any key to continue", and when
> I do that it comes again with the start menu.
> I can of course run xubuntu from a Live USB-stick and I have installed
> Boot Info Script to see what Grub is using, That looks perfectly normal
> to me. I says:
> "Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1
> of the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and
> looks for (,msdos1)/boot/grub on this drive."

Does the 'search.fs_uuid match that shown in the fstab? Example:

===============================

 >  => Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at
sector 1 of
 >     the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location
and uses an
 >     embedded config file:

 >     search.fs_uuid c606c2a7-1fb1-403f-9b90-52f5f150340b root
 >     set
 >     prefix=($root)/boot/grub--

Do the uuid's in the '"blkid" output:' section match those shown in the
'fstab' section?

If those match, then do a search through the rest of the document for
that specific uuid. You should then find corresponding entries in the
grub.cfg section. Example:

 > set root='(/dev/sdb,msdos1)'
 > search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
c606c2a7-1fb1-403f-9b90-52f5f150340b
 > if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
and
 > menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-15-generic' --class ubuntu
--class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
 > 	recordfail
 > 	savedefault
 > 	set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
 > 	insmod part_msdos
 > 	insmod ext2
 > 	set root='(/dev/sdb,msdos1)'
 > 	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
c606c2a7-1fb1-403f-9b90-52f5f150340b
 > 	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-15-generic
root=UUID=c606c2a7-1fb1-403f-9b90-52f5f150340b ro   quiet splash
vt.handoff=7
 > 	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-15-generic

> All other info looks perfectly OK to me. However, I am an ignoramus of
> Grub2 (I could work with the menu.conf of Grub Legacy) but I have no
> idea how GRUB2 works.

It might help if you can post your RESULTS.txt output to pastebin:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
and post the url to that pastebin here.
Gary