mouse behavior <NOT SOLVED>

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon May 14 21:38:43 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 06:01 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 14/05/12 17:30, Ric Moore wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not telling you how to such eggs, but you do know that if there are
>>> 2 USB devices on the same channel then only one will work if the other
>>> is working and using the channel?
>>
>> Well, just got back from running the install CD in run mode. No
>> problems. I went and walked the dog, came back after 15 minutes and
>> the mouse kept right on mousing. Nary a burp in the barrel. That's why
>> I don't trust a damn upgrade, there's always some old obscure config
>> file ~ somewhere ~ that did not get notified that changes have
>> occurred. Looks like it'll be full clean install time, again. I did
>> have high hopes though. That'll teach me to take my own advice.
>> <swears> Ric
>
>  From what I have read in the past, and I must add that I may have
> misinterpreted what you did write, you seem to install Kubuntu and then
> go about deleting the desktop environment to then install the xfce
> desktop environment. Why go thru all of this?

What? I LOATHE KDE. I install plain-jane Ubuntu and add XFCE desktop to
that. The mouse refused to work for long in either. It failed in Gnome
after the first update, which I am doing now. We'll soon know what is
what. It failed before I added XFCE, so that is not at fault. If it
fails again, at least I'll know what to do. I'll re-install again and
not update until the next respin comes out or until all of those
error/bug reports concerning 12.04 and USB is fixed. Damn... there's a
LOT of reports over USB failures, especially after an dist-upgrade. Just
google.

I just re-installed clean, and all is well. But gnome screwed up my
network connect, which should have been dead easy out of the box as it's
wired to a DHCP aware modem and worked fine during the install. I
re-configured it to a static ip and static nameservers, and now it
works. My resolv.conf, which network-mangler is supposed to administer,
pointed to 127.0.0.1 localhost. <giggles inanely> A newbie would have
been in tears, swearing to curse Linux for the rest of their lives. I
knew where to dig, so I'm just merely swearing. Someone just needs to
shoot Network Manager and put it out of it's misery, as well as mine.
WICD works flawlessly every time. THAT should be the standard.

I haven't installed XFCE yet as it insists on wasting my bandwidth and
harddrive space by installing Abi-word-office-etc. If I wanted GeoWorks
for a 486, I'd go get it. So, WTF?

I guess I mourn losing more and more control over my install when others
get to shove stuff onto my computer with massive depends that I don't
want and just may happen to ~despise~. Anyone listening at Ubuntu???
Anyone there at all??? <swears like a drunken sailor> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html