Restoring the old gnome desktop

Johnny candj01 at att.net
Sat May 12 15:47:24 UTC 2012

On 05/12/2012 12:08 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/09/2012 04:23 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 3 May 2012 05:24, Art Edwards<edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm sure this is very honestly given advice that might be very helpful,
>>> but isn't it a little ironic that, for such an intuitive environment,
>>> Unity needs a wallpaper with hints?
>> No, not at all. See my reply to Albert Wagner.
>>
>> Unity has a lot more keystrokes enabled by default than did GNOME 2,
> Indeed it does. in fact Ubuntu 12.04 *requires* that you have two
> working hands, digits, and arms in order to use all of these fine
> 'keystrokes' and perform the same function that could be performed by a
> person with one hand and a mouse. Here's an example:
>
>   On GNOME2/Natty&  below to modify/add a user to a group all you needed
> to do was click System|Administration|Users and Groups|Manage
> Groups|click on the group you want&  select 'Edit'|click the user you
> want to add&  click 'OK' - done. Try the same with 12.04...
>
> Nevermind, you'll end up doing it directly from the terminal:
> <http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/quickly-add-users-to-groups-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/>
> Now I suppose that you *might* be able to do that with a single hand,
> but I wouldn't like to try.
>
> Granted the mouse operation does take quite a few clicks, but at least
> you can do it with one hand.

I don't under stand all the talk about Gnome on 12.04. If I want to use
it just log out and there are 3 different Gnomes to use on my PC. Now
have have only been using Ubuntu since 2007 so maybe it has changed a
lot. I just kind of wish I could put the bar at the bottom because of my
old hands it is easer for me to move the mouse down. But not enough to
worry about I just go slow.
Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65+++