Open Ports after Upgrading to 12.04

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Thu May 10 18:22:47 UTC 2012

Hi!

On 10/05/2012 19:46, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I've configured it so long ago, that I can't remember how I did it.
> Could it be I've edited the relevant ports in the /etc/services file?

In /etc/services, you basically tell your Linux system which service is
to be activated when a packet comes in specific ports. Do you have a
services.dpkg-old file in /etc? That would be a good sign.

Though most servers would not really use a service to work. They'd just
be a process listening on a socket.

That said, maybe you have something else listening on that same socket
already (that would certainly block a second application from listening
on it as well).

Running "sudo netstat -l -p" will tell you which sockets are opened by
apps listening on them, and which app is actually listening on it. That
may help if you see some unexpected app listening on the socket that you
initially planned to open for listening by your sshd and media server.

By the way, depending on how your app is written, the wrong name might
be displayed. My logitech server is written in perl... so the process I
see opening port 9000 is "perl"... since that's the actual binary running...

Gilles