Corrupt 12.04 automatic update

Joe Bissett jbissett at hot-peppers.com
Wed May 9 21:00:59 UTC 2012

Hi Colin,

On 5/9/2012 7:17 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> If you are able to open a terminal then do
> sudo apt-get update&&   sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> which will bring everything up to date, which may or may not help.

Well, thanks to you, it's progress, but not perfection. :-) :-)

Doing the above improved my situation, but I still have a very unstable
machine.  Various errors which do not necessarily repeat themselves.

Something knocked out my internet connection through my router, but I
fixed that.  That was when I saw an error message flash by containing
the word Daemon.  On my last try I was able to open FireFox and look at
e-mail.

The drop down menu sometimes say there are updates, and sometimes it
says it is up to date.  In either case, I am at least able to open the
update manager, which always says I have 109 updates waiting.  Sometimes
it gives a size of 21.8 MB, and the last time it said 1 MB.

The same old System program problem detected error message keeps popping
up and shutting down whatever I'm trying to do.  But I am still unable
to follow the prompts and Report Problem.

Sometimes the GUI is knocked out, with the screen showing lines of text
which appear to be status, rather than code.  Sometimes the text starts
with a line that is right justified, stating that it is Checking battery
status.  Strange, since this is a Dell desktop.

So... my "newbie" analysis say we fixed a few things, but there still
appear to be serious problems rendering the machine unusable for normal
activity.

I've tried to determine some repeatability in the errors, but aside from
the System program problem detected error, there does not seem to be a
regular error pattern.

So, if you have any ideas based on this random information, I await your
counsel.

Joe