change permissions to copy pictures into backgrounds

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Wed May 9 13:11:45 UTC 2012

Hi, Jake!

On 09/05/2012 13:47, Jake Maier wrote:
> Aware of the danger that I'll be shunned from this list for the rest of my
> live I still have a question on this issue. No I don't want to have naked
> people on my wallpaper but I am the only one to use my computer. There is
> nobody in my house except my cat, and I think that there are a whole lot of
> people out there who use their computer as a single user with none around to
> share it.
> Why can't there be a simple bypass of all the unnecessary security for these
> in my opinion quite common situations. I understand that there are necessary
> security issues which apply everywhere.
>
> I just switched to Ubuntu leaving windows because I got so annoyed with it.
> There are many things already I see on Ubuntu where I was pleasantly
> surprised, but I didn't understand why Windows couldn't deal better with
> single users and I don't quite understand it that Ubuntu has not an easy
> bypass for single users.
> I hope keeping this issue alive does not annoy anyone.
> Thanks for your time
> Jake

Ubuntu is made for everybody, based on a time-proven design and
architecture : Linux / UNIX. Not just for you. :)

So it's security model is designed for the whole lot of people who use
it. Not just you.

The "bypass mechanism" you want is called sudo, or gksudo. Use that
command to prefix the copy command you will use to copy the files to
where you want them.

Windows has a different mecanism. You can basically mess up the whole
machine without being asked anything... :) Not my favorite way of
securing a system, but certainly makes a LOT of things easier. Including
messing with it.

The rule with Ubuntu is simple. If it's a SYSTEM area, you need to have
management rights, and prove that with a password. If it's your stuff,
you do what you want with it. If it's shared amongst users, owner sets
the permissions and rights...

Gilles.