change permissions to copy pictures into backgrounds

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Tue May 8 15:14:58 UTC 2012

(2012/05/08 1:12), Colin Law wrote:
>>> Not sure I followed everything you were saying, but if you need to copy or
>>> modify system files, (or root owed files) type into a term window: gksu
>>> nautilus&
>>>
>>> Also useful:  gksu gedit&
>>>
>>> Can you just explain very carefully what you are trying to do.  Tell
>>> us where the files are at the moment and where you are trying to copy
>>> them to.   Don't talk about the "backgrounds" folder, tell us exactly
>>> where you are trying to copy to.
>>>
>>> Colin
Well, this is really simply.
I have a folder that contains pictures I took myself and like to use as
wallpaper for my computers.
I want (a) either make this folder the DEFAULT location the computer is
looking for when I instruct it to change the desktop image,
or (b) to copy my pictures into the ubuntu default folder (if this is so
difficult to change ...)

my pictures are located in:
/home/thomas/pictures/wallpapers
owner: Thomas Blasejewicz
group: adm
I changed the permission for ALL pictures to "read and write", but that
did not help.

the "default folder" for wallpapers appears to be:
/usr/share/backgrounds
owner: root
group: root

* There was the question "why go through all this trouble?" I asked
myself this very question MANY times!
Maybe it is this crazy obsession of mine, that if something should be
very simple but I am still unable to succeed, "I want to know
(understand) why".
Apparently I am annoying many people with this attitude.
Please accept my apologies for that.
On the other hand, I am likely to continue asking stupid questions like
this one ...
Thomas