Is there a way to associate a program to a Dash filter?

Jkhatri khatri.jatin at gmail.com
Tue May 8 08:28:21 UTC 2012

On 05/08/2012 01:40 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 7 May 2012 23:42, Avi Schwartz<ubuntu-users352 at cfftechnologies.com>  wrote:
> I think this is controlled by the Categories entry in the desktop
> file.  Try putting Development in there.  I have not tried it but
> looking at some of the desktop files in /usr/share/applications
> suggests this might work.
>
> Colin
<<--snip-->>

I'm doing this

cd to /usr/share/applicaions

copy any .desktop file ( as template )
edit it as per your need .....

or

create a launcher with the following in it ( I've created for
irfan-view ( windows software) )

less :/usr/share/applications/irfanview.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=IrfanView
Comment=Image viewer and editor
Exec=wine /home/user1/windows-exe/IrfanView/i_view32.exe
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=/home/user1/windows-exe/IrfanView/IrfanView_Logo.png
Categories=;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.18
Name[en_US]=irfanview

NOTE:- you have to reboot the system to be able to get it listed in dash

hope this helps

Warm Regards

--

*/

Jatin Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/