reinstall ubuntu urgent

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue May 8 00:42:09 UTC 2012

On 08/05/12 08:18, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 08-05-12 00:01, William Scott Lockwood III wrote:
>> On May 7, 2012 4:54 PM, "Joep L. Blom" <jlblom at neuroweave.nl
>> <mailto:jlblom at neuroweave.nl>> wrote:
>> >
>> >  Memory checked also completely clean. However, all kind of read
>> errors occurred.
>>
>> When you get a read error, do you retry? Does the retry work?
>>
>> W. Scott Lockwood III
>
> S. Scott,
> Thanks for your quick reply. I erroneously mixed to things that were
> unrelated.
> The memory tests didn't give any read errors. The read errors were
> when things during running of the corrupted xubuntu 11.10 went haywire.
> Sorry for the confusing information.
> Joep

What I suggest is that perhaps the file system is corrupted - nothing
wrong with the HDD but the file system is stuffed. I assume that you are
using ext4 or ext3 as your file system?

The thing I would do is to boot into level 1 (init 1 at the grub menu
when booting) and doing the e2fsck check on the partition where your
system is installed. Seeing as how you also have a separate partition
for your home then do same for it.

But first read up on how to do this e2fsck check - you cannot do it on a
partition which is mounted (unless you are prepared to possibly end up
with even a bigger mess :-( .)

BC