Xubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Chris Gideon assassin262 at aim.com
Mon May 7 04:52:18 UTC 2012

Jeffery Small <jeff <at> cjsa.com> writes:

> I originally installed Ubuntu on my new laptop.  After playing around with
> a number of different desktop managers, I installed and settled on xfce4.
>
> Having installed that package, do I effectively have an Xubuntu system,
> or is there something else that fundamentally separates Xubuntu from stock
> Ubuntu?  Thanks.
>
> --
> Jeffery Small

Effectively, yes.  I did the same thing as you, started with Ubuntu, installed
xfce (not xubuntu-desktop).  Later, I did install Xubuntu-desktop, but since 95%
of what it wanted to download and install was already installed by xfce, all it
did was basically just add some wallpapers and a splash screen.  If you plan on
removing gnome (ubuntu/unity) then you should add the Xubuntu-desktop package
just to make bootup look better, but it's not necessary.