12.04 new install

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat May 5 21:06:19 UTC 2012

On 05/05/2012 04:10 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Hans Muecke
> <ubuntu-ml01 at filderstadtweather.eu
> <mailto:ubuntu-ml01 at filderstadtweather.eu>> wrote:
>
>     Am 05.05.2012 13:22, schrieb Verde Denim:
>      > I have everything running on this system the way I can be happy with
>      > it, except the sound. I've been searching through lots of links of
>      > people who have the same problem, but not much in the way of
>      > solutions. Anyone here gotten past the silence with 12.04? alsa
>      > testing (speaker-test) seems to work, but players, etc - no joy.
>      > Any input is appreciated...
>      >
>      >

>     Just thinking (since I had the same trouble after upgrading) ... are you
>     a member of the audio group?
>

> looks like I'm about to be... I can't seem to find a satisfactory
> solution and have seen two recommendations to join that group since this
> problem will get addressed at some point and I'm willing to help in
> whatever way I can...

Whoops! He meant is your user in the audio group in /etc/group
??
That is the easy way to check: more /etc/group and see if your user is a
member of the group named "audio"

...or crank up your personal user account editor in preferences and do
that with a gui. I don't know the name of that KDE application but I'm
sure you can easily find it. You user should also be a member of the
group "cdrom" as well, if you want to use your cdrom or dvd. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html