100% CPU

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat May 5 20:49:11 UTC 2012

On 05/05/2012 01:55 PM, wcj9996 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am running 10.04 on an AMD-64 CPU. I have been noticing a slowdown on
> occasion for several months. System Monitor shows 100% CPU and more
> network activity than I would expect. This occurs when Firefox and
> Thunderbird are running. Running 'top' shows 'virtuoso-t' taking 46.9%
> of CPU and two instances of 'nepomukservices' taking 18% and 15% of CPU.
>
> Are these malware of some kind?

Nepomuk is sorta, although it is included with a KDE install. It'll eat
your cpu until it's done cataloging everything on your machine for
hours, to make it easy to hand over all evidence to the FBI.

I dumped KDE when I tried to remove nepomuk with synaptic. It popped up
and said it would have to remove all traces of KDE and it's desktop. I
replied "Hell yeah.." and savagely hit the ENTER key with a sneer ...I
haven't used KDE since. I won't have my desktop bound to something I
happen to loathe and I'll have nothing to do with a mindset that goes
"My Way Or The Highway" with me. T

here is no earthly reason to have a desktop search rule my preferred
install. It should be an added option for the user and nothing more than
that.

There are maybe ten people on Earth, and a semi-sentient frozen gas on
the surface of Titan, that uses Nepomuk. The gas is considered a
criminal by his/her/its kind and is in hiding, his/her/its real
whereabouts are unknown. But, he/she/it is all over the Internet,
posting as the user "anonymous". :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html