power management kills computer

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Sat May 5 16:11:37 UTC 2012

Good night (1 am!)
There is one more question I would like to ask tonight.

Apparently, there are no more screensavers / or related settings.
(for reasons I cannot understand)

But there also seems to be no usable "power management".
The relevant section has only ONE item: "suspend when inactive for:"
5-10-30 min / 1 hour / don't suspend"
I tried "10 minutes"

When the time comes, the screen goes black ... OK so far,
but then it makes a terrible sound, like that of an electric light bulb
that has just burned out, and that's it.
If I want to bring it back to life, I have to press the power button
until the power is forcefully cut and reboot the computer.

If this is a bug, it is bad.
In order to avoid this, I would have to leave the computer running all
the time.
If this is not a bug, and the Linux developers have chosen NOT to save
any energy any longer ...
with all due respect, but considering the "energy situation" worldwide,
this appears to be really stupid to me.
Just about ALL makers of electrical appliances of any sort nowadays
provide some sort of energy saving device/scheme.

I just tried something:
Manually choosing "suspend" produces the same result -> kills the
computer!!!