issues with 12.04 and mysql-server

Marcos Ortiz mlortiz at uci.cu
Fri May 4 18:45:33 UTC 2012

On 5/4/2012 12:19 PM, Miguel Gonzalez wrote:
> Unfortunately mysql-server-5.5 doesn't install properly
>
> start: Job failed to start
> invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.5 (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
> mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.5; however:
> Package mysql-server-5.5 is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> No apport report written because the error message indicates its a
> followup error from a previous failure.
> mysql-server-5.5
> mysql-server
> root at s16224997:/etc#
> root at s16224997:/etc#
> root at s16224997:/etc# /etc/init.d/mysql start
> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
> utility, e.g. service mysql start
>
> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
> Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start mysql
> start: Job failed to start

Well, I see that you don´t have MySQL-5.5 installed yet.
The dpkg command is saying to you that the post-installation script has
problems.

* Which repository are you using for installing MySQL-5.5?
* Can you show to us the /var/log/dpkg/dpkg.log?

Then, try to use apt-get -f install to solve the dependencies problems

Regards

--
Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda (@marcosluis2186)
  Data Engineer at UCI