Ubuntu Upgrade from 11.10. to 12.04

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Thu May 3 17:29:55 UTC 2012

On 03/05/12 17:18, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 03/05/2012 17:53, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> I recently upgraded as above and all went well with 2 exceptions.
>>
>> 1    Upgrade Manager went into an infinite loop during the attempted
>> download of the flash-plugin installer. Manual download outside of the
>> Upgrade Manager succeeded whilst the afore mentioned program was looping
>
> Strange, but maybe adobe's site was down? Mine upgraded, including
> flash-plugins...

Maybe you missed the part where I said, "Manual download outside of the
Update Manager succeeded *whilst* the afore mentioned program was looping?

>> 2    The impertinent programmer struck again and modified my BIOS
>> without permission (as also happened during upgrade from 11.04 to
>> 11.10). This cannot be justified as any part of an upgrade process.
>
> That's even stranger. How could it have modified BIOS? And more
> importantly, WHAT did it modify?

How it did it is simple enough, probably via assembler and a BIOS call,
and what it did was change the boot order of my SATA disks. To be
precise, it moved the disk with Ubuntu aboard (/dev/sdb) to the top of
the pile. I normally boot via /dev/sdc which contains my work-a-day
Kubuntu system and I get to Ubuntu (and Windows 7 on /dev/sda) when
necessary via grub.

>> Before I raise bug reports I would like to canvas opinion and
>> establish if anyone else has bumped into these bugs.
>
> Have you checked if there are similar reported bugs?

I've never seen any, but...

Peter HB