AMD 64 bit version?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu May 3 13:40:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 18:56, Bill Stanley wrote:
> My computer has an Intel I7 processor.  I have been using the AMD 64
> version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see.  It has come to
> my attention that this version is for AMD processors.  Are there any
> problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor?  Is
> there a better choice for Intel I7 processors?  Obviously the 32 bit
> version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit
> version is available.  Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice
> for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD
> designation?

Because AMD was first to have the kind of 64 bit processors that we have
today, and the name stuck.

It's sort of the same reason why all pain killers with salicylic acid are
called aspirin, even though not every box of aspirin you buy at the
pharmacist is produced by Bayer.

This email was sent using SquirrelMail.
   "Webmail for nuts!"
http://squirrelmail.org/