Restoring the old gnome desktop

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Wed May 2 23:10:05 UTC 2012

On 04/25/2012 04:09 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
> right!  I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
> desktop if I didn't like Unity.  I ungraded to version 11.10 and I
> can't find how to choose the classic desktop.  On the previous
> version, I could at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>
> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3.  I thought
> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice).  I looked at the Help
> menu and I was unable to find it.  So the question is...  What must I
> do to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>
> Bill Stanley

Just FYI, xfce /is/ pretty nice. (I use the machine for computational
physics code development, as well as writing papers, doing email, etc.
That might enable you to calibrate these comments.) You can build panels
that are very similar to gnome 2. The main menus are a little more
clunky in xfce, but quite liveable. I'm running 11.10 right now on a
netbook with xfce, and I'm not pulling my hair out. It's good enough
that I have not yet run to mate, although news of its stability makes
that tempting.

Art Edwards