12.04 upgrade kernel version question

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed May 2 19:10:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:01:32PM -0400, stan wrote:
> I upgraded my laptop to 12.04 this weekend, and it woulnd up at kernel
> version 3.0.0-17-generic hope that is correct.

No: 12.04 uses a 3.2.0-something-generic kernel.  (The -something bit is
-23 in precise itself, and -24 in precise-updates.)

Please install the 'linux-image-generic' package, if it's not installed
already (it should be!), and maybe check your boot loader configuration,
if you've manually edited it in the past -- maybe you have the latest
kernel installed, but your bootloader is still booting the old kernel
for some reason.

It's hard to say why you're running with an outdated kernel, without
actually examining your system; but the two suggestions above should
cover most of the possibilities.

> Problem is I ned Vurtualbox, which wants to build it's own kernel modules.
> To do this I need the kernel headers, but there seems to be no packages for
> thas version of the kernelt.

Not in precise, no.

Marius Gedminas
--