Which kernel is best for AMD C60?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 07:08:39 UTC 2012

On 03/31/2012 02:57 AM, Art Edwards wrote:
> I have installed oneiric on an Acer Aspire 1 with amd dual core c60
> processor. The kernel chosen automatically during install is a -pae
> version. I thought that pae was "physical address extension" that is
> special hardware that allows a 32 bit processor to access a 64 bit
> address space. When I look on the web for information about the
> processor, the spec's say it is a 64 bit processor. So, did the
> installer choose the correct kernel? I'm having major stability issues--
> the system often freezes on the login screen, requiring a hard shutoff
> and reboot. I'm wondering if this is a symptom of the wrong kernel.

You should be able to run 32bit on a 64bit processor, no sweat. But,
since you have multicores, 64bit might be better. Best to jam all the
ram you can in too. I ran a single core AMD-3200 for a long time on
32bit, as I only had 2 gigs of ram. I was pleasantly surprised how cheap
16 gigs of ram was. Makes a lot of difference. :) Ric