Windows 7

Ted Hilts ehilts at mcsnet.ca
Sat Mar 31 03:23:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 17:48 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> A sad story of wasted time and money and all caused by what is now
> becoming a "has-been" operating system, now in its last throes of its
> existence.
>
> Perhaps you should put your experience into a wiki so that those who
> follow can gain knowledge from it?
>
> BC
>

> On 30/03/12 15:47, Doug wrote:
> >>
> >> There are things about the current Ubuntu I'm not very fond of
> >> myself, and I usually take opportunity to gripe bout them from time
> >> to time.  But this is just nonsense.  You have older computers or
> >> systems that need to work without accelerated 3D video, install
> >> Lubunut/Xubuntu and be happy.  and not support development tools?
> >> Where the *censored* does that come from?
> >>

> >> And as for Windows 7, somewhere in the network settings, Windows
> >> offers you a chance to turn off Homegroups and use traditional
> >> windows networking.  You'll probably find that works better.
> >>
> > I have the same problem, or more so, I'm not sure. After futzing with
> > the Windows machine to try and get it to network, I
> > finally wound up with the d*** machine not seeing the Internet, altho
> > it could see one of two Linux machines. (The linux
> > machines could not see the Windows machine, however.)  I wound up
> > calling M/S and paying a large fee to solve the Internet
> > problem, since all their various "help" routines, including those on
> > the Internet (accessed from a Linux machine, of course)
> > were, as usual, useless.
> > So what I need to know, from somebody, is how to get all this network
> > stuff working without blowing up the Windows
> > machine again.  If it includes turning off Homegroups, then tell me
> > how, and then after I do that, then what do I do?
> > I have no idea what "traditional windows networking" is.  In plain
> > English, I haven't a clue!
> >
> > Thanx to anyone willing and able to help.
> >
> > --doug
> >

> --
> Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

If there is anyone left after a gazillion emails all intensely scolding
me for remarks I made about Ubuntu commercial efforts and a remark about
ditching traditional development tools then I will explain all as soon
as I get my Windows 7 machines working with my Linux machines.  I have
about 15 machines in my network and one goes back to Windows 95. But
after starting an all Ubuntu network with my newest and fastest dual
core machines along comes this unnesesarily new approach forcing me to
stop any further Ubuntu updates and start looking for a solution like
SuSE which I originally gave up in favour of Ubuntu. Anyway, once my
problem is sorted out I will return and tell all.

Thanks for listening
Ted