Installing multiple window manager

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:40:17 UTC 2012

On 03/30/2012 02:26 PM, Pierre Girard wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm installing an ubuntu machine with the default window manager (unity)
> but I want to also provide kde to users as well as gnome.
>
> For gnome, I install gnome-shell and it works. For kde, I tried installing:
> kde-plasma-desktop
>
> I also tried :
> kde-full
>
> In both cases, after everything is installed, I reboot and then try to
> login. When I do, I get the kde splash screen, however I never get the
> desktop. All I get is a black background and the mouse cursor.
>
> I tried installing:
> kubuntu-desktop
>
> and this seemed to be worst. After the installation, I rebooted but when
> it restarted I got the kubuntu logo and colors (blue) instead of the
> normal ubuntu one (brown) and it never got to the login screen.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get multiple window managers working on the
> same machine?
Wow, in the past I installed KDE just as you mentioned. But, at some
point in the process it asked if I wanted to use KDM, which you would
have to reply "Yes" to in order for KDE to work, as opposed to GDM for
gnome. But, I think there is a package for KDE/Gnome interoperable
capability there somewhere. I don't use KDE now as XFCE does all I want
it to do, without the glitz of CPU consuming daemons that you can't
remove. I've never looked back. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html