every reboot screws up my network

Knute Johnson ubuntu at knutejohnson.com
Thu Mar 29 15:42:36 UTC 2012

On 3/29/2012 8:13 AM, Bruce Bowler wrote:
> Running 11.04 and every time I reboot, resolv.conf gets screwed up.  I've
> tried a couple of different things, but none of them works...
>
> 1) changed the IPv4 settings from network tools to do "automatic (dhcp)
> addressed only" and set the DNS servers and Search domains appropriately.
>
> 2) modified /etc/resolv.conf/resolv.conf.d/head to specify the appropriate
> search and nameserver directives
>
> After a reboot /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink and does not
> contain any nameserver entries (it does have the proper search directive).
>
> I can manually re-establish the symlink and things work properly, but
> that's obviously not a viable long term solution...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Bruce

Is this on a server Bruce?  I had the same problem with my server
install and the fix was to put a newer resolv.conf (from 12.04) package
in.  Unfortunately I didn't save the instructions but if you can search
this list you should be able to find the thread.  I don't have that many
posts so you could search for my name.  I think it was about 3 or 4
months ago.

--

Knute Johnson