How do you watch DVDs?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 29 04:02:18 UTC 2012

On 29/03/12 14:11, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 09:54 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I'm wanting to watch some Netflix movies in Ubuntu (it's got a better
>> monitor than my TV's).
>> I want one that uses the entire real estate of the screen -- when I
>> tried a while ago, I got big margins all around.
>>
>> So, if you use Ubuntu in that way, what software do you use?
>

> Just use VLC or Xine, or whatever, and pick "Full Screen', usually
> under the view tab. If it's letter-boxed, I don't think there is much
> you can do about that, unless you have a very wide monitor. No probs
> here. I do use nVidia graphic cards and use it's setup util to set my
> monitor's resolution. Ric

In both vlc and xine double clicking on the video will take it to full
screen (and double clicking will take it back to original).

However, doing this may not be enough because it all depends on the DVD
- it may contain a file which will be formatted in "box style" I think
it is called which will have black borders top and bottom. Now, in xine
this can be easily "fixed" by using the "z" key which will
simultaneously zoom the image both vertically and horizontally and,
depending on what the format of your monitor is (4:3 or 16:10 or 16:9),
you zoom until you fill the screen the way you like it.

With vlc it's a bit different :-( . Don't use "z" key - but you can just
to see what it does (which is that it almost does what double-clicking
does). But to expand the video to fit screen you need to use SHIFT-ALT-d
and -c to expand the screen 1 pixel at a time :-( . See
Tools>Preferences>Hot Keys.

BC

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
              Niccolo Machiavelli