Netbook advice

G. pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:35:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Jonesy <gmane at jonz.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:29:50 +0200, Boye wrote:
>>
>>   Here is the usual question : what netbook could you recommand me at
>> the moment ? ;)
>
> Where on the planet would be useful info....
>
>>   - less than 500?
>>   - less than 2kg
>>   - running ubuntu smoothly
>>   - Regular desktop activity + watching videos (sometimes HD), no games
>>   - Wifi, no blue-tooth nor 3G really needed.
>>   - SSD drive could be fun but for this price,
>>
>>   Short list as far as I've found
>>   - Samsung 305U1A or NC110
>>   - MSI Wind U270
>
>        http://zareason.com/shop/Teo-Netbook.html
>
> Tho' they show it "Out of Stock".  I dunno if they 'encourage' netbook
> sales anymore.
>
> I have their original Terra.  http://zareason.com/shop/Terra-A20.html
> It came with Ubuntu 9.10 and I've since upgraded to 10.04 LTS.  It's
> been rock solid -- good battery life -- and, being a netbook, I have no
> complaints about it.  It, too, shows "Out of Stock".  But, I'd guess my
> model is really "No Longer Sold."
>
> Jonesy

I do not get 10 hours out of the battery but it does help prop up the
netbook a bit, better angle for typing.  I have to turn off the touch
pad or typing is impossible.  Might be an ubuntu issue.  After a year
of heavy use I have no problems.  Hit escape to activate the usb port
for installing ubuntu.  2 gigs cost me about 25 euros.  I use it with
a 21" external monitor, no problem.  No hdmi port on mine.  Talking
about the nc 110.

garyk