Login failure after restart. Every time.

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:25:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 24/03/12 03:00, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
>>  wrote:

>>> I see.
>>>
>>> What you are trying to say is that it is an undocumented "feature".
>>
>> I am not.  Not at all.
>>
>>  From output of "man fsck":
>>        fs-specific-options
>>               Options  which  are  not  understood  by  fsck are
>> passed to the filesystem-specific checker.
>>               These arguments must not take arguments, as there is no
>> way for fsck to be able  to  properly
>>               guess which arguments take options and which don't.
>>
>>               Options  and  arguments which follow the -- are treated
>> as file system-specific options to be
>>               passed to the file system-specific checker.
>
> [pruned]
>
> Sorry for the delayed response but I have been trying to solve a couple of
> (nasty) hassles - one solved the other still in play :'( .
>
> OK, what all of the above states is that if fsck does not understand what it
> is you are trying to do then it sends the command to the
> "filesystem-specific checker" - which in case, assuming that you are using
> one of the extX filesystems, to e2fsck and with the parameter "-f"; and the
> "-f" parameter in e2fsck means to "force a check". If I remember correctly,
> the "f" parameter in Windows/OS2 chkdsk means "fix errors".
>
> Now, what I stated right from the start is that fsck is performed
> automatically on each boot of system and it found NOTHING wrong with the
> files system (ext4) on my wife's computer. Nothing - no errors, zilch, and
> yet her system was playing up something aweful. So, as I stated, I ran
> e2fsck manually and this found a host of errors; and because I did not use
> the "-p" parameter in e2fsck I was able to see what those errors were and
> answered YES everytime e2fsck asked if I wanted them to be corrected.
>
> If you are happy with the result of your exercise in running 'fsck -f' then
> I shall debate the issue with you no further. I can only relate to you my
> personal, real life, experience and how I solved my wife's computer hassles
> :-) .

Happy I'm not, but I'm satisfied the filesystem is clean.  I still
have the original problem.  I've filed a bug, but from the looks of it
it's just one of a great many bugs involving X crashes, freezes or
misbehavior, so I don't expect fast action.  I would be *happy* to be
wrong about that last bit.

BTW, for e2fsck, the fix-everything switch is "-y" (mnemonic: "assume yes".)

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD