useable desktop-search in 12.04

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Mon Mar 26 09:38:09 UTC 2012

Boye wrote:

> Abandon Unity : what a good idea. By the way, do you have a way to
> continue to run ubuntu without unity ? I found only medibuntu which
> have a stable UI.

You can install any of the other *buntu variants' desktops by
installing these packages

xubuntu-desktop for Xubuntu (XFCE)
lubuntu-desktop for Lubuntu (LXDE)
kubuntu-desktop for Kubuntu (KDE)

Xubuntu is the one of those that probably most closely resembles Gmome
2.x (the UI on Ubuntus pre 11.04), but it's less polished (it's had
much less development than Gnome 2 had, but it's predicted that this
will increase with the demise of Gnome 2).

You can also install gnome-session, which will get you the 'normal'
Gnome 3 environment.

Personally, if a return to pre-11.04 is what you're after, I'd suggest
installing Xubuntu-desktop and trying that out.

--
Avi